Oklahoma City Child and Relocation Attorney

Families in Oklahoma are no stranger to relocation. Many find themselves Oklahoma residents because of job moving them here. Either through the military, jobs in oil & gas, or other reason. These same jobs, among many other possibilities, can cause you to move. If you have to move and have custody of your children, there are steps you must take before you may take the children with you.

First, you should provide as much notice to your ex-spouse as possible. Sending a letter from your new address notifying them of the move is unacceptable. At a minimum, you should provide sixty (60) days of written notice. I always suggest that such notice be sent via certified mail to document the date it was received by your ex-spouse.

The following must be provided, in writing, to the non-relocating parent:

  1. the intended new residence, including the specific address, if known,
  2. the mailing address, if not the same,
  3. the home telephone number, if known,
  4. the date of the intended move or proposed relocation,
  5. a brief statement of the specific reasons for the proposed relocation of a child, if applicable,
  6. a proposal for a revised schedule of visitation with the child, if any, and
  7. a warning to the non-relocating parent that an objection to the relocation must be made within thirty (30) days or the relocation will be permitted.

If your ex-spouse tries to move out of state, I can help you object to the move if there are valid reasons to object. It is important to be able to articulate those reasons to the court to show that the move is not in the best interest of the children. This will usually accompany a filing of a Motion to Modify Child Custody, Visitation, and Support.


Call 405-812-3431, email info@jarodmorrislaw.com, or use our Contact page and we will contact you.